Police investigating 'threatening' email sent to multiple schools

News imagePA Media Police Service of Northern Ireland crest on brick wallPA Media
Ross McKeeBBC News NI

A "threatening" email that has been sent to multiple schools and businesses in Northern Ireland is being investigated by police.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said it received reports on Tuesday morning in the County Antrim area, and officers are conducting a number of enquiries.

"Reassurance patrols have also been increased in the areas affected, in order help keep our communities safe," the PSNI said.

It added that it would be "engaging with anyone affected including schools, businesses and our partner agencies throughout the course of today as our enquiries continue".

"We would urge anyone to report anything suspicious to police on our 101 number, always 999 in an emergency."

'Pupils will remain indoors'

In a statement on social media for parents and guardians, St Benedict's College in Randalstown said the PSNI had been informed of the email and, added that "at this stage, the matter is not being treated as a serious threat".

"However, it is being addressed at a senior level, and we will continue to follow all guidance provided," the statement said.

"As a precaution, school doors will remain locked throughout the day as normal.

"Pupils will remain indoors until we receive further guidance from the PSNI.

"The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff remains our highest priority.

"We will keep parents informed and will notify you immediately should the situation change."

'Understandable concern'

Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) assembly member Trevor Clarke has condemned the email.

"Whilst any threat must be taken seriously, it is important that alarm is not caused unnecessarily and the wording of the message does raise some questions," he added.

"The message has also been shared online and is there is an understandable concern on the part of parents in particular.

"I want to reassure them and the wider community that I have spoken to police this morning, and they have opened an investigation.

"It is important that we follow any advice which the police give to school leaders."

Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) councillor Roisin Lynch welcomed the swift response from "police, emergency services and schools to reassure pupils and parents and ensure people's safety".

"No parent should have to fear for their child's safety when sending them to school and no young person should have their education disrupted by threats of this nature," she said.

"I would encourage anyone with information to cooperate fully with the police investigation."