Woman shouted for help after rape, court told
Connor Bennett/BBCA woman shouted to two strangers "help, I don't know this man" after being raped late at night, a court has heard.
The alleged victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, says she was attacked in Norwich city centre at about 23:30 BST on 17 September.
Bali Hoxha, 29, a Kosovan soldier who had been in Norfolk training personnel from the Ukrainian army, has denied one count of rape and two counts of sexual assault.
His trial at Norwich Crown Court was told the woman approached a man and woman after the alleged attack.
The incident took place on a footpath between Prince of Wales Road and the Riverside Retail Park.
Prosecutor Grace Ong has said the defendant "took advantage" of the woman, who had been drinking, and "took her to a secluded place", removed her clothing and "raped her".
Earlier, jurors were told Hoxha left the scene and walked back towards Prince of Wales Road.
One of two people she approached said the woman was searching her trouser legs and waistband.
"She was searching for her underwear. And then she said 'I think he must have raped me'," they said.
One of them added: "She looked very messy as if someone had been throwing her about.
"And there was mud on her back in the shape of a hand."
The woman's sister-in-law, who took her to a sexual assault referral centre in Norwich, said she was "very ashamed and very afraid."
Giving evidence, her sister-in-law said: "(The victim) fumbled over her words and it took her a long time to say 'I was raped last night'."
'Marked man'
In a police interview shared with the court, Hoxha said "I came here to help for five months, to help the British Army".
The defendant had been arrested at West Tofts Camp in Thetford, in Norfolk.
Hoxha said he was "already destroyed" by the woman's allegation, and that he was a "marked man".
He insisted, during the interview, that the sexual contact was consensual and that it was initiated by the woman.
Jonathan Goodman, defending Hoxha, said CCTV of the pair showed them holding hands and stopping to embrace as they walked towards her home.
The prosecution has said the location of the alleged rape is not covered by cameras.
The defence case is expected to begin on Wednesday.
Do you have a story suggestion for Norfolk? Contact us below.
Follow Norfolk news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
