Work to clear out unsafe tower block begins
ContributedWork to clear out an empty tower block ahead of its potential demolition has started.
Cardinal Lofts in Ipswich was evacuated in 2023 after a fire service report deemed it unsafe.
The freeholder of the building, Grey GR, submitted an application to Ipswich Borough Council to knock the building down. That proposal is due to be decided upon.
Matthew Schacht, 31, owner of Suffolk Clearance Group which has been contracted to clear out 60 of the 80 flats, said items such as clothing, sofas, mattresses and more had been left behind.
Martin Barber/BBCSchacht and his team started work in the building on Monday.
Photos from inside the flats show huge amounts of clothing, household items and more left behind by the previous residents and some people who subsequently broke into the building.
"For now we're preparing all of the things like sofas, mattresses, beds, all of the clothes, anything like that, is all being processed," Schacht explained.
"Anything that can be reused will be, but a lot of it has been sitting here a long time and there is quite a lot of mould, so not a lot of things can be saved, but we will try our best."
Contributed
ContributedThe BBC understands that negotiations have been ongoing with the leaseholders of the other flats in the 10-storey building.
Grey GR previously said it would cost too much to repair the building and therefore demolition was "the only reasonable and responsible course of action to remove the existing safety risks and enable the future redevelopment of the site".
The Suffolk Clearance team is making use of personal protective equipment such as masks and helmets and said no road closures were needed for the work.
Contributed"People have been given a chance to come and get their belongings," Schacht continued.
"It's just basically anything that's left is stuff that people don't want, so there's not really anything of value.
"I think if there was anything of value, it would've already been taken by the people that have been breaking into the building."
Schacht added that he expected the work to be completed well within the next month.
ContributedDo you have a story suggestion for Suffolk? Contact us below.
Follow Suffolk news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
