Minister visits derailment site amid funding plea

News imageBBC / Oliver Whitfield-Miocic Three derailed train carriages lie at the bottom of a railway embankment near Lewes. Emergency vehicles, fencing and workers in high-visibility clothing can be seen around the site, while crews work on the railway line above.BBC / Oliver Whitfield-Miocic
Recovery work is continuing after a train left the tracks near Lewes

The rail minister has visited the site of a derailment in East Sussex amid calls for more investment in transport in the South East.

Rail Minister Lord Hendy met Lewes MP James MacCleary and senior representatives from Network Rail, Greater Thameslink Railway, British Transport Police and contractors following the derailment near Lewes.

Twenty people were injured when three carriages on the 14:24 BST Southern service from London Victoria to Eastbourne left the tracks at Landport on Thursday.

MacCleary said while he could not pre-empt the investigation, concerns about infrastructure must be considered. Lord Hendy said regulators ensured Network Rail had enough money to maintain the railway.

The derailment left two people seriously injured and 18 others with less serious injuries.

MacCleary said all had been discharged from hospital apart from the two who were most seriously hurt.

News imageEddie Mitchell A blue tent stands beside police and support vehicles near the Lewes derailment site. Emergency and investigation teams are working in a grassy area next to trees and railway infrastructure.Eddie Mitchell
Investigations are continuing, with initial findings expected this week

After meeting Lord Hendy, MacCleary said the South East had been overlooked "for too long" when it comes to transport investment.

"Despite repeated calls for greater support, the region has missed out in recent budget decisions," he said. "I hope this incident serves as a turning point."

Lord Hendy said funding was spread across the UK, adding: "I certainly don't think there's any cause to suppose that any particular part of the nation is disadvantaged by that."

Asked about track inspections, he said regular inspections had taken place and questions about the condition of the track would be examined by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB).

He said modern rolling stock was resilient and the railway was safe, adding: "Very few windows were broken, nobody fell out of the train, and as a consequence, the worst injury that I know of was a broken leg."

The RAIB is expected to give initial findings this week.

News imagePA Media Three train carriages are derailed on a railway embankment near Lewes. Several people in orange high-visibility clothing stand beneath a temporary canopy in the foreground while the damaged carriages remain among trees and vegetation beside the track.
Show more linesPA Media
The carriages settled at the bottom of an embankment

Meanwhile, the operation to separate and remove the derailed carriages has begun.

Fire crews have been spraying water around the train to reduce the risk of fire caused by sparks when the metal is cut.

Two cranes will be brought in to move the carriages after checks have been made to make sure the embankment can withstand their weight.

The line between Lewes and Haywards Heath remains closed until at least 26 August, with disruption likely to continue after that.

Follow BBC Sussex on Facebook, X, and Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Sussex on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.