Student's keys and passport stuck on derailed train

News imageOliver Whitfield-Miocic A student wearing a navy blue t-shirt stood near a cordon in a field.Oliver Whitfield-Miocic
Alvin Dybvik Payne says he is unable to retrieve his belongings from a carriage which derailed at Lewes on Thursday

A student caught up in the derailment of a train near Lewes says his passport and keys to his home are still on the carriage.

Alvin Dybvik Payne, from Seaford, had been visiting his family on a trip back from his university course in Norway when the carriage he was riding in rolled off the tracks, leaving him scrambling to help others to safety.

The economics student, 20, said he could not fly back to Oslo until his belongings, including his laptop with his university work on, were retrieved from the scene.

British Transport Police (BTP) said carriages were not yet safe to access, while Southern and Network Rail said they were "making every effort to reunite passengers with their belongings".

Speaking outside the site cordon, Alvin told BBC South East Today: "It's quite frustrating due to the fact that it is right over there.

"I could go home to Norway on an emergency passport, but if I did I couldn't get into my flat, I wouldn't be able to go to lectures, and I wouldn't have any of my essentials.

"I know that staff are doing their job, but I was on top of the train, it should be alright to reach a hand in and grab it."

Alvin boarded the 14:24 BST service from London Victoria to Eastbourne at Gatwick Airport before the train derailed at Lewes shortly before 16:00 on Thursday.

News imageAlvin Dybvik Payne Four people stood on top of an overturned train carriage next to a train track.Alvin Dybvik Payne
Alvin was in one of the carriages which overturned on Thursday afternoon

Since the derailment, Alvin and his family have returned to the scene multiple times to ask for his belongings to be retrieved, but to no avail.

A Network Rail spokesperson said on Sunday that the railway line would be closed for at least 10 more days.

The back three carriages remain on their sides on the embankment where it is "simply not safe to enter", Southern and Network Rail said.

They added: "As soon as it is possible to gain access, through the recovery work, we will do our utmost to reunite the owners with their belongings as a priority."

The Rail Accident and Investigation Branch (RAIB) completed its work on site on Saturday and has handed the site back to Network Rail, it added.

Mary Payne, Alvin's stepmother, told BBC Radio Sussex: "It's very frustrating for us to not be able to get any information about when he can get his bag back.

"We were due to be going on holiday and we have no idea if we can do that now because we need to support Alvin."

Father Matt Payne added: "We have been driving backwards and forwards constantly to get information. It has caused a lot of frustration."

A BTP spokesperson said: "Every effort is being made by the rail industry to reunite passengers with their belongings."

Follow BBC Sussex on Facebook, X, and on Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Sussex on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.