'Emotional rollercoaster' as school closures upheld

Martin HeathHertfordshire political reporter
News imageMartin Heath/BBC A primary school with a yard in to the left and old two-storey brick buildings to the right. There is a white building with a triangular upper floor in the background, and a brick wall in the foreground with a wooden gate across the entrance. There is a church to the right.Martin Heath/BBC
A school has existed on this site in Albury for more than 240 years

A head teacher whose school closure has been confirmed has said the last few months have been an "emotional rollercoaster".

Hertfordshire County Council's cabinet has decided not to reverse decisions to close Albury Primary School, near Bishop's Stortford, and St Nicholas Primary in Elstree.

A scrutiny committee had ordered reviews of both decisions because it felt the process was flawed.

Kate Johnston-Grant, the head teacher at St Nicholas, said pupils would be supported "until the very end of our journey".

The two schools had been considered for closure because of their low pupil numbers.

St Nicholas Primary in Elstree has 46 children, while Albury Primary has just 11 in the main school and two in the nursery.

Thursday's meeting of the council's cabinet heard that, as educational settings were mainly funded on a per-pupil basis, both schools had significant financial problems.

St Nicholas had a deficit of £372,000, which was expected to rise to £700,000 within three years, while Albury's deficit was about 42% of its annual budget.

News imageGoogle School entrance with hedges either side and a road leading into a car park where a blue and a silver car are parked. There is a single-storey school building beyond with a white block to the right, with a facade of mainly windows, and a brick building to the right, with smaller windows.Google
St Nicholas School in Elstree only has 46 pupils

The decisions to close both schools had been reviewed by a scrutiny committee, which called for more clarity about how consultation responses were considered and how the impact of the closure plan on pupil numbers would be mitigated.

Conservative councillor Mark Pope told the meeting the issues raised by the scrutiny committee had not been addressed, and the cabinet would be "letting down the parents" of children if it did not reverse its decision.

But the cabinet said there was no viable alternative to shutting the schools.

Mark Watkin, the council's executive member for education, said all feedback had been "fully reviewed" and pupil numbers were "consistently low for several years".

News imageKate Johnston-Grant Kate Johnston-Grant with medium-length blonde hair, wearing a blue T-shirt, blue jacket with school crest and beige trousers . She is carrying a sign saying "Save our School" and leaning against a metal gate. The school is visible in the background.Kate Johnston-Grant
Head teacher Kate Johnston-Grant said the last few months had been an "emotional rollercoaster"

Johnston-Grant said: "I am deeply grateful to the families who have stood by us for so long, and to our dedicated staff, who throughout this difficult and emotional rollercoaster have remained committed, loyal, and true to the school.

"While difficult changes lie ahead, we will continue to move forward together with strength, dignity, and care, supporting the children who remain with us until the very end of our journey as a school community."

Do you have a story suggestion for Beds, Herts or Bucks? Contact us below.

Follow Beds, Herts and Bucks news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.