Two on bail after devastating blaze destroys homes
Jordan Andrew CardTwo people arrested in connection with a major fire that destroyed four homes in Stoke-on-Trent have been released on bail.
Dozens more homes in the Sandyford area were badly damaged and many were evacuated when the blaze broke out near Sandy Road on Thursday afternoon - a day in which multiple fires burned at once across the West Midlands.
On Friday, a 23-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman, both from the city, were arrested on suspicion of arson.
"The man and the woman arrested have since been released on bail while our investigation continues," Staffordshire Police said in an update on Monday.
Some families whose homes were evacuated have moved into council emergency accommodation, while others have sought refuge at a community centre and working men's club.
The situation was described as "unreal" by the latter after opening its doors to affeced members of the community.

"It [went] from a little bit of smoke in the air to families being in the club... breaking down in tears," said Jake Burgess, secretary of Goldenhill Working Men's Club.
"What can you say to these people? It's so hard when they're sat there going 'my animals, my belongings'. It's been a bit of a roller-coaster."
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said six firefighters had to be taken to hospital for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion after battling blazes in the county.
Stoke-on-Trent City CouncilGoldenhill Community Centre had been filled with donations of clothes, toiletries and food, said councillor Chandra Kanneganti who praised people's "extraordinary" generosity.
He thanked volunteers who had worked to make people's experience easier.
"A number of affected residents have already been able to collect things they need," he said.
"A huge thank you to every person who has donated, and particularly to the volunteers who have given up their time to sort, organise and label everything."
Follow BBC Stoke & Staffordshire on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.
