Man charged with kidnapping and assaulting teen

Georgie DockerNorth West
News imageBBC Street view of a road sign reading: 'Bradgate Road'. The sign is small, and white with black writing. It is positioned on a pavement BBC
Paul Sharpe, 56, from Stockport, has been charged after a girl was allegedly abducted in Altrincham on Monday

A man has been charged with kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl, who was allegedly abducted from a street and threatened with a knife.

The teenager had been walking along Bradgate Road in Bowdon in Altrincham when she was reportedly taken at about 18:45 BST, Greater Manchester Police said.

Paul Sharpe, 56, from Stockport, has been charged with kidnap with intent to commit a sexual offence, sexual assault, attempted sexual assault, engaging in sexual activity in the presence of a child, threats with a bladed article and administering a substance with intent.

Sharpe is due to appear at Manchester Magistrates' Court later.

Det Ch Insp Justin Bryant said officers were "working tirelessly" on the investigation to establish the "full circumstances surrounding the incident".

"The girl and her parents are now being supported by specialist officers," he said.

"As this is a live investigation, people should refrain from online speculation.

"We would like to reassure the public that there is no wider risk to the community in connection with this matter."

Any witnesses or anyone with information or footage from the area is urged to contact the force.

Listen to the best of BBC Radio Manchester on Sounds and follow BBC Manchester on Facebook, X, and Instagram. You can also send story ideas via Whatsapp to 0808 100 2230.

Related internet links