'I could not stay silent', says activist who shouted at Ben-Gvir

Auryn CoxBBC News NI
Video shows far-right Israeli minister Ben-Gvir taunting flotilla activists

The Irish activist who shouted "free, free, Palestine" as an Israeli politician walked by her in a detention facility said in that moment she could not stay silent.

Catriona Graham was one of hundreds of activists who were detained by Israel this week while trying to deliver aid to Palestinians in Gaza by boat.

Israel's far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir later posted a video showing himself taunting the activists as they kneeled with their hands tied behind their backs.

At the start of the video, which has received widespread condemnation, he can be seen encouraging security personnel as they push down Graham after her exclamation.

"I was part of the 2025 flotilla as well," Graham told Irish broadcaster RTÉ.

"That time as well, he passed through and tried to insult many of us, just as he does to so many Palestinian prisoners in much more vicious ways.

"So when I saw him coming, when I saw him passing by, knowing the horrific crimes that he has committed, I could not stay silent."

News imageRTÉ A woman with short hair sitting looking at the camera. She is wearing a keffiyeh, has earbuds in and has a flower above her ear. RTÉ
Catriona Graham said activists were subjected to vicious violence

In a statement on his X account, the Taoiseach (Irish prime minster) Micheál Martin said he was "appalled at the shocking behaviour" of Ben-Gvir.

His actions also drew rare criticism from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said they were "not in line with Israel's values".

After shouting her remarks Graham said she was dragged away and placed in isolation where about eight Israeli commandos stood around her talking in Hebrew.

"So I was preparing myself for anything that could happen next," she said.

"It was not too violent, thankfully, especially compared to what many others have experienced. But yeah, it was definitely a very real danger at every moment."

News imageItamar Ben-Gvir A woman in a green t-shirt is being forcefully pushed to the ground. She is on her knees with her hands cuffed. Three men have their hand on her back and head. Itamar Ben-Gvir
The video shows Graham being detained by Israeli forces

More than 50 boats taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) set sail from Turkey last Thursday carrying a token amount of aid.

Four-hundred-and-thirty people from more than 40 countries were on board.

Israel dismissed the action as a "PR stunt at the service of Hamas".

On Monday morning, armed Israeli naval commandos began intercepting the fleet in international waters west of Cyprus, about 250 nautical miles (460km) from the coast of Gaza, which is under an Israeli maritime blockade.

The GSF's organisers said all the boats had been intercepted by Tuesday evening, with one managing to get within 80 nautical miles of the Palestinian territory.

"They were intercepting our boats with a real significant escalation of force and violence compared to other flotilla missions," Graham said.

"It seems like most people endured some kind of vicious violence. We've had reports of at least 15 sexual assaults."

News imageGlobal Sumud Flotilla/Handout via Reuters Video footage from the Global Sumud Flotilla showing armed commandos boarding a sailboat from a raiding craft in the Mediterranean, west of Cyprus (18 May 2026)Global Sumud Flotilla/Handout via Reuters
A live stream from the Global Sumud Flotilla showed Israeli commandos boarding a boat on Monday

Among the 15 Irish citizens detained was Dr Margaret Connolly, the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly - as well as Belfast man Fra Hughes and Lurgan woman Helena Kearns.

In a statement on Thursday, a spokesman for Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said: "All foreign activists from the PR flotilla have been deported from Israel.

"Israel will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza."

On Friday morning Ireland's Minister for Foreign Affairs, Helen McEntee, confirmed that the Irish citizens are safely in Turkey.

"Pleased to report that our flotilla citizens are safe in Istanbul and are recovering," she said.

"I assure their loved ones that officials from our embassy will continue to provide appropriate consular assistance and support."

After arriving in Turkey, Dr Margaret Connolly said of Israel: "This barbaric, cruel regime must be disbanded."

Mikey Cullen, another Irish activist who was also on board the flotilla, said that when they were intercepted they were met with violence.

"And the fact that Israel would do that to us with the world on us, I can only imagine what they do to Palestinian prisoners," RTÉ has reported.

News imageReuters Two women stand on an airport tarmac beside a passenger plane, wearing grey sweatshirts with handwritten “Free Palestine” messages and black-and-white keffiyeh scarves. One looks toward the camera holding papers, while the other stands beside her carrying a red jacket.Reuters
Dr Margaret Connolly, the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, is among the Irish citizens in Turkey after being deported by Israel

The Global Sumud Flotilla said the activists on board were carrying food, baby formula and medical aid for Palestinians in Gaza, where living conditions are dire and most of the 2.1m population is displaced, despite the ceasefire agreed by Israel and Hamas last October.

The Israeli foreign ministry described Gaza as "flooded with aid", saying more than 1.5m tonnes of aid and thousands of tonnes of medical supplies had entered the territory over the past seven months.

The UN said last week that many displaced families in Gaza were still forced to shelter in overcrowded tents or severely damaged structures due to the absence of safer alternatives.

Access to basic services remained limited, with inconsistent availability of clean water and impaired waste management systems that could not meaningfully address public health concerns, including those linked to pests and rodents, it added.

The Gaza war was triggered by the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, when about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

Israel responded by launching a military campaign in Gaza, during which more than 72,770 people have been killed, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry.