Lessons need to be learned from wildfires, minister admits
South Wales Fire and Rescue ServiceLessons need to be learned about the way the nation deals with wildfires if more are likely in the future due to climate change, a government minister has admitted.
Dafydd Trystan Davies praised the "remarkable response" of firefighters and soldiers during a visit to Treherbert, Rhondda Cynon Taf, as several grass fires continue to burn in south Wales.
Reform Wales criticised the Welsh government's crisis management and the time taken to bring in the Army and aerial support last week.
Meanwhile, South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS) said military support was being withdrawn later on Wednesday as the agreed "aid formally comes to an end".
But two helicopters will "continue to carry out essential firefighting and reconnaissance missions", said a fire service statement.
Davies said: "We need to learn from every experience we have to make sure that we respond in the most effective and prompt way possible to the challenges.
"In an era of climate change, we're going to be facing hotter summers, we're likely to see more wildfires."
The minister for government effectiveness said a fire summit would be held later this year to "learn the lessons we can from this summer".
He said he had spoken with personnel from SWFRS and the Army, as well fire services from across England that were brought in to "respond effectively to the major challenge".
On Wednesday, crews were continuing to tackle fires at Blaenavon, Dowlais, and Llwyn-on Reservoir, with two others at Wattsville and Cwm in Ebbw Vale being monitored.
About 200 Army personnel began digging fire breaks over the weekend and provided logistical support, including water distribution.
When asked if more help could have been provided, Davies said: "The request was made, the request was fulfilled promptly, and because of that we've had firebreaks here on the mountain that have stopped the fire spreading to people's homes.
"That's what we were really facing here in Treherbert... a genuine danger of people's homes being at risk.
"And because of the prompt action of the fire service and support from elsewhere, and from the Army we've managed to stop that risk."
Scott EmanuelTorfaen councillor Janet Jones said residents had become increasingly concerned about the fires, and was "grateful for the army coming in... we wish it had happened earlier".
"Last Thursday was quite bad when the fire restarted and we could see the flames," she added.
"Across the valley... the smoke was really, really bad and we were concerned about the respiratory problems for many elderly people."
Dan Thomas, leader of Reform Wales, said: "The brave men and women of our fire and rescue services deserve our thanks but they also deserve the resources and support they need.
"So why has it taken this long for Plaid to recognise the scale of this crisis and seek the additional support our fire service so desperately needs?"
Davies was asked whether the Plaid Cymru-led Welsh government and UK ministers could consider further support for the fire service in the future.
He said he was "sure there'll be conversations ongoing about the funding requirements".
And he praised the use of drones to identify wildfire hot spots and said resources had to be ensured to support "newer technologies which will mean that we can tackle wildfires more effectively".
"We need to make sure we're absolutely doing everything we can," he said.
Penaluna Fish and ChipsAn ice cream man served military troops and fire crews in Treherbert on Tuesday.
That came after staff from local fish and chip shop Penalunas, in Hirwaun, handed out free food to firefighters tackling the blaze until 03:00 BST on Saturday.
The fire service said it was "incredibly grateful" but added it was "not seeking donations or fundraising activity".
