Baby death inquiry to look at pre-op risk assessment

Ken BanksNorth east Scotland reporter, Aberdeen
News imageBBC The entrance to Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital, the name words are in bright letters.BBC
Baby Michael Wilson died at Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital in 2021

An inquiry into the death of a two-month-old baby in Aberdeen will look at pre-operation risk assessment.

Michael Wilson was born on 11 August 2021 at Aberdeen Maternity Hospital and died at the Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital on 15 October the same year.

A preliminary fatal accident inquiry (FAI) hearing was told the adequacy of the pre-operation assessment would be one area of evidence, and whether any information available gave rise to any possible uncertainty or risk.

A previous hearing heard there would also be a focus on how information about an inherited condition is recorded and shared, alongside the sharing of information between health boards.

Dates for the inquiry itself to be held are still in the process of being identified.

The process for the upcoming inquiry began last year.

The Lord Advocate considered the baby's death occurred in circumstances giving rise to serious public concern.

The discretionary FAI was ordered as a result, to establish facts surrounding the baby's death rather than apportion any blame.

At the latest remote hearing, on Wednesday at Aberdeen Sheriff Court, Lixia Sun for the Crown said it was not expected that relatives would need to give evidence.

Sheriff Christine McCrossan noted that the inquiry was expected to last about four days, and that it would be held in person.

It is hoped suitable dates for the inquiry can be identified in the coming days.