Football team set up in memory of man hit by car

Maria Rubioand
Ben Mellor,Nottingham
News imageNottinghamshire Police Informal photo of Tyler Fairman, holding a drinkNottinghamshire Police
In a tribute, Tyler Fairman's family said he was a "devoted partner, loyal friend and loving son"

A football team has been set up in memory of a man who was fatally injured when a car hit a group of pedestrians in Nottinghamshire.

Tyler Fairman, 26, was one of five people struck by a Vauxhall Astra in Market Place, Arnold, on 9 May. He died in hospital three days later.

His friend Jay Brown, from Sherwood in Nottingham, has set up Forever Ghost FC - the name of which the 26-year-old said was based on Tyler's nickname, "Ghost".

The team, which hopes to join the Nottingham Sunday League, will play a fundraising match against Angel and Ziarn FC at Basford United's ground on 30 May.

"Not many people knew him as 'Tyler'," Jay said. "Everyone knew him as 'Ghost' or 'Ty'.

"I sat there and I thought, 'I need to think of a name that's not going to be [thought of by] anyone else' - and that's when I thought of Forever Ghost FC, because he's forever going to be remembered by us."

Jay said money raised by the match would be used to help Tyler's pregnant partner pay for his funeral.

"He worked hard to provide for his family," he added. "He's got a three-year-old boy, his partner is pregnant and due to give birth in August.

"Everything he did was for his family and his mum and dad.

"We're trying to take out every single option that they have to think about at this awful time, so we're trying to alleviate all that pressure from them and let us sort it."

News imageSupplied An informal photo with three men. The man on the right has his arm slung around the man in the centre.Supplied
Jay Brown, pictured centre, said Tyler's smile "just lit up a room"

Jay said he had known Tyler since they were children, having grown up in the same area, but the pair "drifted apart" after they went to different secondary schools.

However, they later started playing for the same football team and went to the same college.

"We just became really close again," he added.

"His smile just lit up a room. You could walk in and be in a bad mood, he would smile, he would laugh, and then ultimately anything that you're worried about, you would instantly forget."

As well as raising money for Tyler's family, Jay said the football club would be a way for his friends to look after each other as they grieve.

"We're all in this together and we're a brotherhood," he added.

"We're going to make sure that we stick this out for Tyler, and make sure that we're all okay and we can all talk.

"When I have time to process things, it breaks me. It really does break me because he was one of those people that you could have an argument with one day, then the next he'll message you and check you're alright."

News imagePA Media A red car that has crashed has police tape around it. Police officers in the background are wearing neon yellow hi-viz jacketsPA Media
Police closed off several areas of Arnold town centre after five people were struck

Paying tribute to Tyler, his family described him as a "devoted partner, loyal friend and loving son".

The family statement said: "Our hearts are shattered, and the world has become a much darker place without him in it.

"Anyone who knew Tyler knew there was never a bad word to say about him.

"He was the kind of person who would do anything for anybody. He was always there for everyone and was a devoted partner, a loyal friend, a loving son and a father figure to so many people around him.

"If someone needed support, Tyler would be there in a heartbeat."

Local non-league football club Woodthorpe Park Rangers previously said its end of season awards ended in "complete heartbreak" after three members of its team, including Tyler, were hit by a car.

After the announcement of Tyler's death, the club posted a tribute on social media, writhing "forever our number 6" in reference to his squad number.

On 11 May, Duane Anthony, of Marton Road, Bulwell, was charged with five counts of attempted murder and will next appear in court on 8 June.

The 40-year-old was additionally charged with aggravated vehicle taking, driving while disqualified and driving without valid insurance.

Police have confirmed they have launched a murder investigation.

Listen to BBC Radio Nottingham on Sounds and follow BBC Nottingham on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.