Plans for 260 new homes on beauty spot refused
Mark AshdownPlans to build 260 homes on a beauty spot have been refused over accessibility concerns and the impact on wildlife.
Bristol City Council voted against housing developers Keepmoat's proposals for Brislington Meadows, south Bristol, on Wednesday evening.
Keepmoat had revised its biodiversity strategy earlier this month and the first part was approved on Monday, but not the second part. The developer, which says the city "desperately needs homes" can challenge the decision with the government's Planning Inspectorate.
Councillor Guy Poultney said: "The site is simply too difficult. Not a single piece of evidence has been produced to put our minds at ease, in respect of the concerns that we raised."
The local authority sold Brislington Meadows to Homes England in 2020, but subsequent council administrations have sought to protect the site from development.
Keepmoat was appointed to the project in April 2025 and said its plans would boost biodiversity in the area.
Since it submitted its proposals, many people objected and campaigned against the loss of urban green space, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.
KeepmoatThe developer said it would plant more trees than it would fell and the site would create a "10% net gain" in biodiversity.
However, the firm admitted it would not achieve that on the site, so would need to improve habitats elsewhere.
The off-site provision has not yet been agreed, so questions remain about how the plan would work.
Speaking at the council meeting, Ben Leather, regional managing director of Keepmoat Homes, said: "The question before members this evening remains whether the new homes that Bristol so desperately needs are acceptable within that framework.
"We believe the additional work carried out since April helps members in making that positive judgement."
Follow BBC Bristol on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to us on email or via WhatsApp on 0800 313 4630.
