Wildfire warning issued after barbecue bin blaze

News imageNorthumberland Fire and Rescue Service The remains of a cremated bin at Alnmouth beach. The charred wooden structure is almost completely destroyed and there is a puddle of water on the ground around it. In the background are two firefighters carrying hoses attached to a fire engine, which is parked on the seafront.Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service
Firefighters extinguished the blaze at a bin on Alnmouth beach

An urgent warning about the continued risk of wildfires has been issued, after a bin blaze caused by a disposable barbecue.

The fire in a public bin at Alnmouth beach "could easily have spread" causing damage to the environment and wildlife, according to Northumberland Fire and Rescue Service.

Last year, a serious wildfire that caused widespread devastation at nearby Druridge Bay was believed to be caused by a barbecue or campfire.

A fire service spokesperson urged the public to help "keep Northumberland safe": "With temperatures remaining very high across Northumberland, the risk of wildfire is increased."

The spokesperson said barbecues could remain hot long after use and posed a "serious wildfire risk".

"Disposable barbecues, camping stoves and open flames can easily ignite dry grass and vegetation, putting wildlife, communities and firefighters at risk."

The fire service urged people to bring a picnic with them, instead of a barbecue, in order to reduce risks, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

On Friday, the government issued a national emergency alert to the public across England, warning of the dangers of wildfires during the very hot weather.

Measures to reduce the risk have included a temporary nationwide ban on the sale of disposable barbecues, with Prime Minister Andy Burnham describing the country as like "a tinderbox" last week.

However, temperatures have since dropped with rain expected across many northern and central parts of the UK on Tuesday.

Follow BBC North East on X, Facebook, Nextdoor and Instagram.