Island sea-bathing warning lifted

Katie WapleSouth of England
News imageGetty Totland Bay, Isle of Wight with beautiful clouds and sea view past the pier.Getty
The Environment Agency has lifted a bathing alert for Totland Bay

A warning urging people to avoid swimming in the sea off the Isle of Wight following a sewage spill has been lifted.

On Thursday, Isle of Wight Council advised residents to "avoid swimming in contaminated water" at Totland Bay and Colwell Bay on the island's west coast, after the Environment Agency (EA) reported a "pollution incident".

Southern Water said the wastewater pumping station at Madeira Road, Totland, had failed and it "sincerely apologises to everyone affected".

Local councillor Chris Jarman said, despite the warning being lifted, bank holiday visitors may be "cautious" about swimming in the sea.

The wastewater failure occurred on Thursday and had lasted for one hour.

It resulted in a release of screened wastewater into the sea and a warning being issued by the council and the EA.

Southern Water said: "We fully recognise how important this area is to residents, visitors and local businesses.

"We understand the concern and disruption that an incident like this can cause and we sincerely apologise to everyone affected."

The EA confirmed on Friday that the bathing restriction has been lifted "just in time for the long weekend".

Jarman, ward councillor for Totland and Colwell said he was aware that the bathing alert had been lifted however "people's confidence is particularly low and they will be cautious about swimming".

He said: "Although tests have been completed and it is safe, it still takes time to clear so we understand why residents and tourists will be guarded this weekend.

"This is a continuing problem around the island which has a fragile economy heavily dependent on tourism and more needs to be done by the water companies to reassure people and increase confidence."