No clear timeline for return to evacuated flats
GoogleResidents of an evacuated tower block in Kent have been told to prepare for a delayed return home.
Maidstone Borough Council told occupants of Miller Heights in Maidstone, which was declared unsafe on 11 May, that there was "no clear timeline" for reopening the building.
A prohibition notice preventing people from living at the premises is in place for the privately owned high-rise due to a basement flood that damaged its electrics.
A major incident was declared after the evacuation and was later stood down.
Building managers have no confirmed date for when residents will be able to return, with residents told to be "prepared for the possibility of further delays", the council said.
A council spokesperson said: "While work is ongoing, residents are being encouraged to prepare for the worst while hoping for the best, and to ensure they collect everything they need from their homes during the remaining access period."
Management company Centrick, which the council said was responsible for the property, has been approached for comment.
Council leader Stuart Jeffery said that the news would come as a "bitter blow to residents" and was "not easy to hear".
Daniel Noonan, Kent Fire & Rescue Service's head of building safety, said that inspectors had found several fire safety concerns at Miller Heights.
"The safety of the public is paramount, and we will continue to work with those responsible for the building to ensure any issues are resolved," he said.
'Message issued in error'
The council said that communication from UK Power Networks suggesting that issues were resolved had been "incorrect" and that work was ongoing.
The power lines operator apologised for "a message issued in error" and said that it would reattend to safely reconnect the supply after internal works were completed.
Miller Heights occupants can collect pets and perishables on Tuesday, with a final opportunity to collect other belongings on Sunday.
Residents are not permitted to enter the building unsupervised.
The council's welfare centre has closed but the local authority said that it would continue to assist residents at risk of homelessness.
Follow BBC Kent on Facebook, on X, and on Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Kent on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.
