Women who died in sea off Brighton were sisters

Joshua AskewSouth East
News imageSussex Police / family handout Three women. Sussex Police / family handout
Emergency service crews were first called to Brighton beach on Wednesday morning

A father has described feeling "unbearable grief" after his three "beloved" daughters died in the sea off Brighton beach.

Sussex Police said the women who died were Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walter, 32, and Rebecca Walter, 31, from the Uxbridge area of London.

Emergency services were called at about 05:45 BST on 13 May to a report of a person in the water near Black Rock car park in Madeira Drive. Two more bodies were recovered from the sea nearby.

Paying tribute, their father, Joseph, said in a statement: "No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives."

He continued: "Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love."

News imageCharlotte Coney / Getty Images Two responders in reflective gear stand on the pebble beach of Brighton looking out to sea with the Brighton pier in the background on Wednesday.Charlotte Coney / Getty Images
Emergency service crews were first called on Wednesday morning

As though speaking to his daughters, Joseph said: "Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way.

"Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.

"Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.

"You were deeply loved, and you will always be deeply missed."

Police said an investigation into how the three came to be in the water was ongoing.

They added: "There is no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality, but specialist detectives are working hard to gather the full facts and circumstances of their deaths."

News imageEddie Mitchell A floral tribute is laid on a beach. Eddie Mitchell
Flowers were left at the scene last week on Madeira Drive in Brighton

The women's father said their deaths had "left an emptiness that words cannot heal."

He added: "There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared.

"Though you are no longer here beside us, your spirits live on in our hearts every day.

"Love like yours never die."

Sussex Police said the women's next of kin were being supported by specialist officers "during this incredibly difficult time".

Brighton & Hove City Council leader Bella Sankey previously said it was "the most devastating news" the city had received "for a very long time".

"I can't think of anything more tragic or more horrendous," she told BBC Radio Sussex.

Follow BBC Sussex on Facebook, X, and Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Sussex on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.