Woman jailed for assisting offender over murder of Kathryn Parton
PSNIA 45-year old woman who admitted assisting her son in the aftermath of the murder of Kathryn Parton has been given a four-year sentence.
Ms Parton's remains were discovered by her father in the bedroom of her Madrid Street home in Belfast on 15 May 2024.
Her partner, Jamie McAllister, was one of three people arrested in the aftermath of her murder, as was his mother Suzanne Love.
Love, from Isoline Street in Belfast, appeared at Belfast Crown Court on Friday where she admitted perverting the course of justice between 8 and 16 May 2024 by removing items from a crime scene and washing items with intent to destroy evidence.
The mother-of-three also pleaded guilty to assisting an offender over the same time period.
Love's sentence was divided equally between prison and licence by Madam Justice McBride.

A post-mortem examination concluded Ms Parton, 34, had sustained a beating and, had immediate medical intervention been sought, she may have survived.
Ms Parton's partially-decomposed body was discovered by her father Ernie in the home she shared with McAllister on 15 May 2024 on 15 May.
Having been unable to contact his daughter, Mr Parton called at her home and found her lying in the bedroom.
The discovery led to McAllister's arrest.
Setting out the crown's case, Madam Justice McBride said about 21:40 BST on 9 May, a friend of Ms Parton's left her home and, at that point, she was uninjured.
Love arrived at the property a short time later, having been contacted by her son Jamie McAllister.
There had been a commotion in the house which was ongoing when Love arrived and in a statement she later prepared, Love said she went upstairs and saw Ms Parton lying on a bedroom floor.
Love said Ms Parton was breathing and didn't look that badly injured and that she called out her name.
She said Ms Parton responded but she couldn't tell what she said then after the front door was rapped, she went back downstairs.
The bedroom was heavily bloodstained and in a state of disarray, and forensic evidence demonstrated that Love walked in Parton's blood before she left the scene.
'Potentially life-saving treatment'
Madam Justice McBride said: "She must therefore have been aware that the deceased was badly injured and bleeding profusely, but still alive.
"The defendant, however, did not summon any medical or other assistance for the deceased.
"She accepts that she could have alerted the emergency services or an alternative form of help for the deceased. She chose not to do so.
"It is agreed that this deprived the deceased of the opportunity of potentially life-saving treatment."
The judge said that in the direct aftermath of leaving Madrid Street, Love's offending of both perverting the course of justice and assisting an offender commenced.
'Extensive and multiple injuries'
A state pathologist concluded Ms Parton's had sustained extensive and multiple injuries consistent with punches, kicks and stamps.
The cause of her death was due to blunt force trauma to the head and it was determined that had she received immediate medical assistance, the outcome may have been different.
Regarding Love's offending, Madam Justice McBride said by her guilty pleas she accepted she intentionally destroyed evidence and that she intentionally impeded her son's apprehension.
Madam Justice McBride said: "In this case, I am satisfied that the defendant could have alerted the emergency services or an alternative form of help for the deceased.
"Her actions deprived the deceased of the opportunity of potentially life-saving treatment."
The judge said this failure also led to Ms Parton's body lying undiscovered for several days.
'The grief we carry is constant'
Ms Parton's parents told the court of their "catastrophic loss".
Geraldine Parton said: "She was our only child, our daughter who we waited for 14 long years for. Our gift.
"Since Kathryn's murder, our lives have been permanently changed. The grief we carry is constant. It is present in every part of our day - from the moment we wake up to the quiet moments when their absence feels overwhelming."
A statement from Ernie Parton was read to the court.
It said: "I cannot find the words to explain the shock and horror of finding my daughter lying dead on her bedroom floor in a pool of blood. That image will haunt me for the rest of my life.
"I have lost my motivation and ability to focus on anything since, no matter how hard I try. I've lost my only child, and my grandson, his mother, to a senseless and brutal attack."
Turning to the Parton family, Madam Justice McBride said: "The parents have set out eloquently the adverse impact the death of their only and much-loved and much-wanted child had upon the entire family.
"Their lives have changed forever and they have now become carers of her child."
Solicitor Philip Breen, acting on behalf of Love, said that while his client had waived the right to a pre-sentence report, she has expressed both genuine remorse and shame for what she did.
Madam Justice McBride said she had considered defence submissions which highlighted the "extremely difficult position because of the family relationship".
The court also heard that Love - herself the victim of previous domestic abuse - has spent her time on remand undertaking courses and counselling.
