Football fans stage matchday bar boycott

News imageBBC A football ground. BBC
The team secured promotion to the sixth tier National League South for the first time ever earlier this year

Fans of a Surrey football club are to boycott their own matchday bar as a row over takings continues.

Supporters of Walton & Hersham FC claim its current deal with the local council and Places Leisure, the respective owners and operators of its stadium in Walton-on-Thames, means the club doesn't get a penny from the bar's takings.

The newly promoted National League South side's co-owner, Calogero Scannella, previously said not being able to benefit financially from home game food or drink sales was hitting the side hard.

A spokesperson for Places Leisure said the revenue from the bar contributed to "all associated costs" it incurred for a range of events at the stadium.

Elmbridge Borough Council (EBC) said it was "committed to supporting Walton and Hersham FC and is continuing constructive discussions with the club and Places Leisure regarding its future ambitions".

The main boycott will be staged at the club's home game against Dorking Wanderers on August 29, with unofficial bar boycotts also mooted for other clashes, such as the one against Dagenham and Redbridge on Tuesday.

Mick Moriarty, chair of the supporters' club, said Places Leisure made "an absolute fortune" from the bar at home games, of which Walton & Hersham FC did "not get a penny".

He said those sales had "increased significantly every season with our continued increases in attendance."

And, with greater success bringing with it higher costs, such as paying players and staff, the side could miss out on eventual promotion to the Football League "if such barriers to commercial sustainability remain in place", he added.

News imageA football club logo.
Walton & Hersham are known as The Swans

Walton & Hersham FC made headlines in 2019 when a group of young fans took ownership of the club, which was about to be relegated to the 10th tier in English football.

The club has since enjoyed a series of promotions - and massive exposure on social media - and will play in the sixth tier this season.

A Places Leisure spokesperson said Walton & Hersham FC hired the use of the Xcel Sports Hub - its home ground - which was also used for "a range of events and users, not just football".

"We are responsible for its operation and incur all associated costs, including staffing, utilities, cleaning and maintenance," they added.

"The revenue from the bar contributes towards these costs.

"Prices have increased incrementally in line with inflation and rising operating and staff costs, yet they are generally lower than those at other venues in the area.

"We will continue to support the club's growth while balancing the needs of all users of the site."

An EBC spokesperson said: "While the Xcel Sports Hub retains the bar income, this is offset against the club not having to pay for things like utilities, staffing, maintenance, cleaning and pitch maintenance - along with receiving a significantly reduced rate for pitch hire.

"We recently replaced the 3G football pitch four years ahead of its planned replacement at a cost of £300,000 in order for the club to take its place in the National League South and meet ground-grading requirements.

"The club has already been granted permission to provide its own catering on site through a burger van, along with a club shop, which was in place for all of last season and from which it receives the income," they added.

Follow BBC Surrey on Facebook, X, and Instagram and listen to BBC Radio Surrey on Sounds. Send your story ideas to southeasttoday@bbc.co.uk or WhatsApp us on 08081 002250.