London Tube strikes: What you need to know

Harry LowLondon
News imageBBC/Harry Low Metal shutters drawn across 'station closed due to strike' signBBC/Harry Low
There were two Tube strikes in April

Although strikes by London Underground drivers scheduled in May were called off by the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, further industrial action is still planned in a dispute over working patterns.

Members of the RMT union previously voted to oppose the voluntary introduction of a four-day working week with condensed hours.

Two 24-hour strikes had been scheduled from noon on 19 May and 21 May along with those planned for 16–17 June and 18–19 June.

Instead, new strike dates have been scheduled for early June.

When are the Tube strikes?

As it stands, members of the RMT union will strike again on:

  • Tuesday 2 June from 12:00 BST until 11:59 BST on Wednesday 3 June
  • Thursday 4 June from 12:00 BST until 11:59 BST on Friday 5 June

How much disruption is expected?

No service is expected on the Circle line, Piccadilly line, the Metropolitan line between Baker Street and Aldgate, and the Central line between White City and Liverpool Street.

During the first wave of strikes, which began at midday on 21 April, the Circle line was suspended for the full duration, the Waterloo & City line did not run on 22 April, and other lines faced intermittent part suspensions or severe delays.

Services only began restarting from about 07:30 the morning after industrial action ended.

Because of the timing of the previous industrial action, the full impact on other lines was felt at different times across the strike days.

London Underground previously said there would be "significant" disruption on most Tube lines but the level experienced would not be as severe as the strikes in September.

Boarding the first Tube train may not be possible, according to TfL.

London Overground, the DLR, Elizabeth line, trams and buses will be running, but are expected to be busier.

Only drivers belonging to the RMT union are due to walk out - that is roughly half of the total number of drivers on the network. Aslef's participation in last year's strike, alongside the RMT, halted almost all Underground services.

What is the strike about?

The RMT has rejected an offer for drivers to voluntarily work a four-day week.

Under the proposals, most drivers would see their working week reduced from 36 hours to 35 hours. Their contractual hours would remain the same because paid meal breaks would be introduced.

This effectively means drivers would work longer days, but fewer days each week and fewer overall hours each week.

The arrangement is currently being trialled on the Bakerloo line on a voluntary basis to test its viability.

News imageBBC/Harry Low Cyclists, including Lime Bike users, wait at a red traffic light as pedestrians walk pastBBC/Harry Low
Londoners turned to two wheels to get around during September's strike

The RMT said the working day would be too long under the plans, risking driver fatigue and compromising safety.

The union instead wants a 32-hour week over four days, meaning drivers would work three fewer hours each week for the same salary.

TfL said drivers could remain on a five-day week if they wanted to, pointing out that the change was voluntary.

A spokesperson for Aslef, the union representing a slightly higher share of Tube drivers, previously said they were "surprised that the RMT has decided to take this action".

Aslef has agreed to the voluntary compressed four-day week, saying it gives participating drivers an extra 35 days off a year "in return for some fairly minor changes to working conditions".

"It will be the first strike in the history of the trade union movement designed to stop people having a shorter working week and more time off," Aslef's spokesperson added.

An RMT spokesperson said: "We have a different perspective from Aslef."

Could the remaining strikes be called off?

The RMT previously accused TfL of refusing to make concessions, saying their members had been left "in a position where they feel there is absolutely no alternative but to proceed with the strike action".

On 18 May, the RMT union said TfL had "shifted its position", allowing it to "explore our members concerns" about the new rosters.

But in a statement, it warned: "The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress."

News imagePA Media Commuters clutch their umbrellas as they huddle into one of the capital's few open stations in Farringdon on the Elizabeth line during April's strikes.PA Media
September's Tube strike pushed up demand for services like the Elizabeth line

Nick Dent, director of customer operations for London Underground, said: "Our proposal for a voluntary four-day week is designed to improve both work-life balance for drivers and the reliability of service for customers.

"We look forward to further discussions on the implementation of these proposals with all of our trade unions."

Claire Mann, TfL's chief operating officer, previously said the proposals allowed it to "offer train operators an additional day off, whilst at the same time bringing London Underground in line with the working patterns of other train operating companies, improving reliability and flexibility at no additional cost".

London Underground drivers also went on strike in September in a dispute over pay and conditions.

The industrial action caused severe disruption across the capital's transport network, with many Londoners getting around by e-bike instead.

Listen to the best of BBC Radio London on Sounds and follow BBC London on Facebook, X and Instagram. Send your story ideas to hello.bbclondon@bbc.co.uk