Burton sign Utrecht defender Adiele on loan published at 16:02 BST
16:02 BST
Image source, Shutterstock
Image caption,
Emeka Adiele played for England at under-18 level
Burton Albion have signed defender Emeka Adiele from Dutch club FC Utrecht on a season-long loan.
The 19-year-old began his career in the West Ham United academy and played eight EFL Trophy games for their Under-21 side before moving to the Netherlands.
He made two substitute appearances in the Eredivisie towards the end of last season as Utrecht finished in sixth place.
Burton head coach Gary Bowyer told the club website: "He is an exciting young player who adds depth to the squad.
"We're looking forward to working with him and I'm sure he will learn a lot from our more experienced players."
I will be there for the team - Bocatpublished at 14:27 BST
14:27 BST
Image source, Getty Images
Image caption,
Bocat is in his third season with Stoke City
Eric Bocat is ready to take on any role Stoke City boss Mark Robins wants him to fill.
The Frenchman has started both games for the Potters so far this season, scoring his first goal for the club in Saturday's 2-1 defeat by Swansea City on the opening day of the Championship campaign.
Bocat, 27, made 21 league starts for Stoke last season but is not taking anything for granted this term.
"When the team needs me, I will be here and always answer the call," he told BBC Radio Stoke.
"I just keep going, keep working. Even though I am starting, if one day I need to go on the bench I will be there for the team."
Stoke took the lead through Bocat's 10th-minute goal at the weekend only to see Swansea come from behind and take the three points.
"Everyone is important to the team - if you're starting, on the bench or not called up for the team, you need to be ready," he added.
Stoke hope to pick up their first points of the season when they visit Southampton on Saturday, 22 August.
'Scouting is about your eyes' - Vale legend Foylepublished at 12:05 BST
12:05 BST
Media caption,
Foyle: 'A lot has changed for the better'
Port Vale chief scout Martin Foyle will rely on his eyes over data and statistics when it comes to recommending possible signings for the club.
Foyle scored 107 goals in 356 games for the club, managed them from 2004 to 2007 and was inducted into the club's Hall of Fame in June.
He has previously filled recruitment roles at Northampton Town, Morecambe, St Mirren and Carlisle United. He told BBC Radio Stoke doing the job had changed over that time.
"A lot of it [now] is data driven which is something I didn't have a lot of at the previous three or four clubs - not that if affects anything because at the end of the day, scouting is about your eyes and your feel for a player and obviously if the club can afford to take them," the 63-year-old said.
"Social media has probably had the biggest affect on football, on managers and coaches, even players as well. It can be very tricky, there's a lot of lies out there and people get portrayed in different ways.
"That's the hardest thing to deal with - but as for the rest, going to games, meeting people, meeting agents who are connected with a lot of clubs... It's about trying to be open, honest and upfront, and tell it like it is.
"Contacts are huge - it is [about] who you know. I started about 10, 12 years ago with Chris Wilder and Alan Knill at Northampton - that was a baptism of what goes on. Recruitment is a completely different field and it's not as easy as people think."
Vale have signed a dozen players since relegation from League One last season.
They began the League Two campaign with a 2-0 loss at Oldham Athletic and next face back-to-back home games against Tranmere Rovers and Crewe Alexandra.
Gossip: Stoke track Villa defender Rowepublished at 11:31 BST
11:31 BST
Stoke City are interested in taking full-back Triston Rowe from Aston Villa. The Premier League club are understood to be open to either a loan or a permanent deal for the 19-year-old. (The Athletic - subscription required), external
Meanwhile Stoke and Preston are set to be disappointed in their pursuit of Hull City defender Cody Drameh who reportedly wants to remain with the Premier League club. The two Championship clubs are reported to have offered £1m for the right-back. (Sky Sports), external
'Swans more of a finished article than Stoke'published at 11:30 BST 17 August
11:30 BST 17 August
Mark Elliott BBC Radio Stoke commentator
Image source, Getty Images
Stoke had enough chances to take at least a point from their 2-1 defeat to Swansea but ultimately came off second best in too many of the game's biggest moments.
Eric Bocat scored a good goal at the end of a good move but Sorba Thomas, so often the hero over the past year, missed a very presentable chance at 1-1 and several other lower profile opportunities were passed up by a poor final pass or shot.
Swansea scored the winner immediately after the bulk of their substitutions all came at once, taking advantage of a brief period of chaos partially brought about by the changes and kept the ball impressively to see the game out.
In all, they looked closer to the finished article as a team with Stoke still looking to reinforce their squad and, in doing so, retool their attack in the transfer market.
They will hope that those moves will help them become more efficient in front of goal, something they've needed to do for some time.
After the game, manager Mark Robins said he and the club's recruitment team are hoping to add to the squad soon ahead of a tough run of fixtures through the rest of August.
The Championship provides a long, testing campaign and it's clear the club is well aware of what it needs to do while the transfer window is open to give itself the best chance of success.
Seko leaves Stoke for Urawa Redspublished at 14:36 BST 16 August
14:36 BST 16 August
Image source, Getty Images
Japanese midfielder Tatsuki Seko has left Stoke City to join J1 League side Urawa Reds for an undisclosed fee.
The 28-year-old returns to Japan after two seasons in the Championship with the Potters, having arrived from Kawasaki Frontale in the summer of 2024.
He played 75 times for Stoke across all competitions, but has not featured in the early weeks of the latest campaign.
"Tatsuki and his family were open to exploring a return home and, after we reached an agreement with Urawa, he leaves with our gratitude for his commitment as a Stoke City player," Stoke's sporting director Jonathan Walters told the club website., external