Harwood-Bellis misses Saints win amid interest

Taylor Harwood-Bellis in action for Southampton wearing a red and white shirtImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Southampton rejected a bid from Aston Villa for defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis

ByDan George
BBC Sport England at St Mary's
  • Published

Southampton head coach Tonda Eckert has described defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis as an "absolute professional" but said it is "normal" to have "many emotions and thoughts going through your head" while there is interest from other clubs.

England international Harwood-Bellis was not in Southampton's matchday squad for Saturday's Championship victory over Stoke City.

The 24-year-old centre-back has had two bids rejected for him in recent weeks, the latest being worth £18m from Premier League side Aston Villa.

"It's been in the media over the last days that there is some interest and deservedly so for the season that he has played last year," Eckert told BBC Radio Solent after Saints' 3-1 win.

"For me, he is one of the best English centre-backs in the game. He has so much love and passion for this football club, for the supporters and the players in the dressing room.

"But I think it's normal if there's interest that there's many emotions and thoughts going through your head, so we took a decision today to put full trust into the boys that were out on the pitch and then we'll see."

Figure caption,

Listen: Tonda Eckert on Taylor Harwood-Bellis and victory over Stoke

Harwood-Bellis has been at Southampton since 2023, initially joining on loan from Manchester City and helping the side win promotion from the second tier in 2023-24.

He played in Southampton's opening league game of the season, a defeat by Watford.

"Everything that I can say about him is that he has been an absolute professional in the way he has conducted himself in all moments," Eckert added.

"Let's see what the next days bring."

Asked about wanting to bring in a replacement if Harwood-Bellis does depart before the end of the transfer window, Eckert said: "We're working in the last days of the window, there's always some movement.

"I have full confidence and trust in the players that we have here and at the same time full confidence in the board and Johannes (Spors)."