Teen seriously injured after machete attack

News imageGoogle A road which bends around to the right, with a house on the right hand side and two white vans parked either side of the road. There are green bushes and trees on the leftGoogle
It happened on Duncan Edwards Close in Dudley on Saturday

A 16-year-old boy has been left with serious injuries after being attacked with a machete in Dudley, police say.

West Midlands Police said it happened just before 14:00 BST on Saturday on Duncan Edwards Close, when the teenager was walking in the area and was approached by two young men on a moped, who attacked him before fleeing.

The 16-year-old was left with serious injuries to his face and chest, and has undergone surgery.

The force said it had recovered CCTV and mobile phone footage, but was asking the public to help identify those involved.

"This was an horrific attack in the middle of the day and it could easily have resulted in this boy losing his life," said Det Insp Joe Davenport, from the force's major crime unit.

"We've been working tirelessly since then to understand exactly what happened, and who was responsible, and I'd urge anyone with information to get in touch with as soon as possible."

The force added that extra patrols are taking place in the area on Sunday.

Follow BBC Birmingham on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.

Related internet links